evo just posted a new open position at its flagship headquarters in Seattle, Washington. The core action sports retailer is looking for an experienced individual to fill the full-time position of Director of Merchandising. Here’s more from the job posting, which you can find in its entirety, along with details on how to apply, at our Job Board.
evo is a leading multi-channel retail brand that answers to the lifestyle and sporting needs for the urban, action sports market. evo strives to uniquely balance commerce, cause, culture and community by effectively connecting, and integrating elements of urban culture, community, art and sports in the action sports industry. Through its uniquely curated product assortment presented online and in its flagship store in Fremont, the brand delivers a truly extraordinary and highly differentiated customer experience.
The product assortment is a critical element at evo, offering a thoughtfully built collection of merchandise that represents many product brands for hardgoods and softgoods by blending a balanced representation of action sports including ski, snowboard, skate, wake, and rounding the mix out with streetwear and accessories. When woven together, this assortment represents a uniquely complete lifestyle collection.
The Director of Merchandising is accountable for driving sales and margin while managing inventory for all departments online and in the store(s). The Director is responsible for building a productive and profitable assortment for hard goods and soft goods which meets/beats evo’s financial goals and supports the evo brand and satisfies the targeted customer. The Director of Merchandising is directly responsible for hiring, training, and developing the Merchandising and Planning team. The Director of Merchandising is a key leadership position for evo and will work closely with the CEO, Directors of Marketing, IT, and Finance, and Retail Teams. The Senior Planner and Buyers are direct reports.
Key Metrics 50%Sales/25% GM$/25% Inventory Turn
- Craft strategy and lead assortment planning for all departments on line and in the store(s) to meet/beat Merchandise Financial Plans, support the evo Brand, and satisfy the targeted evo customer.
- Develop and execute a private label strategy across relevant categories.
- Work with the current brands carried to maximize evo’s business and profitability. Open up new brands to enhance evo’s growth and assortment. Continually identify new products, service, and sports for the evo customer.
- Build and develop a strong Merchandising and Planning Organization while managing to budget.
- Work closely with Marketing to continually understand and define the evo Brand and targeted customer.
- Partner with Marketing to develop efforts to drive traffic and profitable sales on line.
- Evolve business processes, systems and the organization as needed to achieve growth.
Some specific responsibilities for the Director of Merchandising include:
- Develop and execute Merchandise Financial Plans (sales, margin, and inventory) by department for on line and store(s) by month to support the overall company financial goals in conjunction with the Buyers and Senior Planner.
- Develop and oversee execution of the product assortment planning strategy for all departments online and in the store(s) to meet/beat Merchandise Financial Plans, support the evo Brand, and satisfy the targeted evo customer.
- Develop a key partnership with Marketing to continually understand, define, evolve and execute, the evo Brand and target customer.
- Continually work to differentiate the product brands and the assortment mix for growth in the online space taking into account market trends, competition, evo’s brand positioning and targeted customer. As brands become stale or unprofitable and lack strategic purpose, eliminate those brands from the assortment and identify other means to fill the lost sales or brand presence.
- Develop and oversee cradle to grave strategies for product life cycles while meeting/beating sales and gross margin goals. Continually keep prices competitive.
- Work closely with Marketing to develop and execute a Marketing plan (events and promotions) that drives traffic and profitable sales on line and in the store(s).
- Partner with on line Merchandising and store Merchandising to present the brands and products to the evo customer in a compelling and brand appropriate manner.
- Communicate product strategies – brands, trends, products, pricing etc – cross-functionally.
- Manage inventory by month/dept to achieve turn goals (limit cash outflow) in order to increase grow margin rates.
- Develop merchants who can balance creativity, brand, the evo brand and customer while meeting/beating financial goals.
- Evolve business processes, systems, and the organization as needed to achieve growth plans.
- Develop promotional plans without the partnership of Marketing.